Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Day 118, There Was a Star Inside Me the Whole Time!

All of the PCPers and I have been going on for weeks and weeks about how different we feel eating right, getting stronger, and learning how our bodies work. This project is definitely one of discovery.

Some of the discoveries are just plain neato, and I've been meaning to share this one with you ever since I noticed it a few months ago after I lost all that weight.

As I wrote about at the time, when you lose weight you lose it from your arms, your butt, your face, everywhere. In fact, the place you lose it last is your belly and love-handles, which is frustrating because that's where you want to lose it first!

Well, one of the places you lose that fat layer is your chest, and I don't just mean your man-boobs (which I had) but your actual chest wall, as in the skin covering the solar plexus. Well, once that fat layer was gone, I found the coolest thing. For some lighting reason it's really easy to see as I get out of my shower, so that's where I took this picture, after my shower today.


Can you see it? Right there on my solar plexus there's this meeting point of cartilage which I can only describe as a starburst. Here's the pic from one step closer.



In my 28 years of life, I had never seen this part of my body before. It was there the whole time, just under the fat I guess. I think it's so funky. I feel like I've seen similar things on other people, but I couldn't find any pics on google images. What should I search for? Starburst cartilage on chest?

Anyway, I'm going to use this little star as a kind of yardstick. As I mentioned yesterday I'm quite happy for my weight to fluctuate throughout the year and season, but I'm making a little rule for myself. If that star starts to get faint and disappear, it means I'm slipping back into some bad habits and need to address whatever's going off track.

Does anyone else have this star? And what is it exactly? I have a ton of anatomy books, but I can't find what exactly this thing is. All my books skip right to the muscle, then the ribs!

(want to find out things about yourself you never suspected were there? Apply for the second round of the PCP at thepeakconditionproject (at) gmail.com)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hate to be off topic, but what is this "BPP" you write of in your Twitter? RIP? Are you saying ZIS is going to die?!!

Nooooooooooooo...

Patrick said...

BPP is The Bryant Park Project, an innovative NPR radio show that got the axe this week. ZIS won't die I was just depressed that anything innovative gets shot down after just a few months without giving it a chance to grow.

snapperactual said...

my guess would be that you are actually seeing the point where your lower ribs fan out from the bottom of you sternum. i'm sure your rigorous PCP routine has made this "starburst" all the more pronounced by toning the muscles in your upper abdomen. check out this image from wikipedia and compare it to your photo.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/88/Gray112.png

Patrick said...

Ah, I see what you're saying, I've been thinking it was some formation on the sternum itself. You must be right, because it has the look a feel of cartilage and the ribs at that point aren't full on bone yet. Thanks!

Niterunner said...

So...this would make Patrick a star-bellied Sneetch?

Patrick said...

I was always more of a One fish Two Fish Red fish Blue fish kid.

Anonymous said...

Dude you are f-ing ripped!

Anonymous said...

hi patrick as this post is really old im hoping you read this the starburst in question is your solar plexus as you rightly pointed out however the point is that its the real sun centre from where all life flows, its the nerve centre which radiates life all said its a very important part of your anatomy probably the most important.

Anonymous said...

oh btw if you do read it the previous post is mine im eshaan live in india as of know my email id is eshaanjoshi@ymail.com