Thursday, May 1, 2008

Day 41, A Must Read

As you know if you've been following this project, I've had a lot of revelations regarding food during the past month and a half. I now enjoy fruit as much as I used to enjoy sweets, I'm learning how to bring out the flavors in vegetables, and I have finally gotten it through my head that I can control the size of my portions and be very satisfied with my meals.

Which had all kind of primed my mind to be ready to notice this book in the bookstore last week. I would have bought it right there but I didn't have enough money (English books are pricey in Japan, this one was 35 dollars. I'd heard of The Omnivores Dilemma of course, but, not being an omnivore, I was never that interested in reading it.


I got home and was surfing around trying to find more information about the work, and I stumbled upon the NY Times piece that I guess served as the jumping off point for the book. It's one of the most refreshing and well thought out pieces on food I've ever read. And everything I've done on this project convinces me that this is how we need to think about what we eat.

Eat Food. Not Too Much. Mostly Plants.

Please read it if you have a few spare minutes!

No comments: