Thursday, May 15, 2008

Day 56, You Are OK

A weird thing has been happening to me recently. Now that I am getting noticeably in shape and doing so in this very public manner, people who aren't in such great shape are approaching me almost abashedly, and either asking for advice or kind of apologizing for their current physical state.

This feels very much like the times I go to a restaurant with a non-vegetarian, and they're like, "Dude, do you mind if I have a hamburger?"

Or when I run into a yoga student around town who hasn't come to the studio in a while. Before I can say "how are you?" they're explaining what has kept them away and promising to return soon.

In all three of these situations, I want to clap the person on the back and say, "Dude, I don't care." But that's not exactly true. I do want you to get in better shape, I do want you to eat less or no meat, and I do want you to do more yoga, especially at my studio where you'll be well taken care of. I do care.

But I know how complicated life is, and how I can never imagine what a day in your life is like. I know you're doing your best, that you've made the choices you have because that's all it seemed you could do at that moment. And I know you'll be ok.

So if you want to make changes in your life, just make them, and I'll be behind you 100% But if you don't feel up to a big change at the moment, don't try to explain why to me. I understand, and I think you're fine just the way you are. Really!

No comments: