Monday, April 14, 2008

Day 24, I Can't Believe I Ate That Once!

As I've lost fat and gained muscle, I've found myself wondering why so many people, especially in my home country, the US, are out of shape and overweight. I mean, this project I'm doing is a little on the hardcore side but it's not that hard. Even just incorporating a few of the things I've been doing would get results.

I stumbled upon this article, called "The 20 Worst Foods in America." Very enlightening reading and a little gross too.

On last weeks Zen is Stupid Gwen talked about Jamba Juice, well, their Chocolate Moo'd Power Smoothie "contains more sugar than two pints of Ben and Jerry's Butter Pecan ice cream." It ranks as the country's worst drink.

Check out #14, the Quizno's Sandwhich that packs 1510 calories. That's more than I eat in an entire day now!

And I've mentioned my love of nachos, well, #3, Worst Nachos, is something I actually used to order, On the Border Stacked Border Nachos (I held the ground beef). Those bad boys pack 2740 calories, and 5280 mg of sodium. The recommended daily allowance of sodium is
2,400 mg.

How could anyone not gain weight with these kind of choices lurking on every menu on every corner, at cheaper prices and faster preparation time than anything you could make at home?

So, any Americans reading this, you should think of yourself not as lucky to have so many delicious choices, but "behind enemy lines" in terms of having a healthy diet. You have to work harder than anyone on earth to resist the constant pull (helped with sniper-accurate targeted advertising) to eat this delicious, fatal food. Good luck.

The French eat bread and drink wine like crazy, the Germans drink beer by the stein, the Italians wolf down pasta at 10 pm at night, the Indians put oil in and on everything, and Asians eat rice like there's no tomorrow, and yet obesity isn't a problem in those countries. I'm convinced the difference is the lack of walking anywhere and chain restaurants.

It makes me sad for my country, we try to be the best at everything, and we're so good at making cheap, tasty food that we're slowly killing ourselves.

No comments: