Monday, April 28, 2008

Day 38, This may surprise you but...

Every ounce of muscle I've put on has been the result of...
  1. Exercises involving my own body weight, or
  2. Exercises using this 1 meter piece of rubber.

Part of my goal with this project is to make getting in shape as straightforward as possible. I don't like numbers much, which is why I've tried to avoid some of the woolly details regarding Body Mass Index, the different GI numbers of foods, and, of course, how many kilos of whatever I'm lifting.

The resistance band is great for that. It doesn't look like much, and I have no idea how much I'm lifting or pulling at any given time. That keeps me from competing with myself too much, and allows me to just enjoy the workout without worrying about increasing the load more and more. It's really good for tone. If I used regular, heavy ass weights I would become too muscular bulky to realize my goal of a Bruce Lee build.

So, over the course of this week I'll be showing how the resistance band works, and how it can be used to duplicate any of the actions that an expensive gym or dumbbell set brings. Plus, it's portable!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Can't wait to read more on this rubber tube workout! It sounds (and looks) silly but i have been wanting to drop the weights and use more of my own body.

Anonymous said...

Found your blog via Gwen Bell - fascinating project! Adding you to my feeds, stat.